Being present in real time on someone's phone, tablet or desktop. With going live, it's possible. Nowadays, this can be done on almost all social media. Think of Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and even Facebook!
Sounds nice, but what exactly is the added value of this trend? What exactly does 'Going Live' mean and what can you actually do with it?
What does going live entail?
As we already mentioned above, you communicate in real time with your audience through a certain medium. Which medium that is, is entirely up to you! Of course it is wise to keep an eye on which media your target audience is present. If they are only present on Instagram, going live on Facebook does not make much sense of course.
What can you do with it?
Showing yourself and communicating a message at a time that is convenient for you. So what kind of content are you delivering exactly? It could be anything:
- Answering questions from (potential) customers
- Showing a (new) product
- Announcing an event
- Etc. Etc.
You read in this item More about Going Live and what you can do with it!
What are the benefits of going live?
Compared to the well-known static image on social media, video is increasingly gaining viewers' attention. Also, videos are favored over photos by social media's algorithm. In addition, going live has the following advantages:
- Your followers will receive a notification when you go live. This makes them more inclined to take a peek at what you have to say anyway. Ideal if you want to reach your target audience quickly.
- Video’s are nicer to look at. In fact, research shows that moving images hold a person's attention better than fixed images.
Tips for going live
You want to start live streaming, but you've never done it before. Or perhaps you have already done it once, but it didn't all go smoothly. Below we discuss some tips that you can take into account when going live on social media.
- WIFI – Make sure you have a good internet connection!!! Without an optimal connection, live streaming on most media is difficult to achieve.
- Airplane mode – Ask your colleagues or employees to put their smartphones on airplane mode. This is because of the possibility of noise in the video.
- Testen – Test your live stream first. On most social media, you have the option to test your live video first, before going live in front of a large audience. To do this, select the "Only Me" option within the settings of the medium in question.
- Preparing - Before going live, think about the topic of your live stream. That way you avoid being tongue-tied and giving away a bad impression to your audience. Also share at the beginning of your live stream what you are going to do or tell them, so your audience knows what to expect.
- Involvement - Answer questions from viewers. This is very important when you want interaction between you and your audience. Interaction stimulates engagement and that is exactly what you want during a live stream. So respond to as many questions as you can and mention the comments every now and then.
- Assistance - Always ask someone to assist with your livestream. This is not only useful if you suddenly collapse (another person can then join in), but also if there are many questions asked in the chat. The second person can then read these questions out loud, after which you can answer them in peace. Make sure you have a good internet connection!!! Without an optimal connection, live streaming on most media is difficult to achieve.
- Personal – Make the livestream personal. People feel more engaged the moment the personal element is present. Greet people by name and ask them specific questions where possible. In this way you also work on your customer relations. Such an intro is also ideal to wait for the other visitors to your live stream.
- Promotion - Announce your live stream. Do not do this an hour in advance, but plan well in advance. That way your followers can take it into account.
- Title - Come up with a catchy title for your livestream. You need to market your livestream; it should appeal and be attractive to attend. For example, ask a question or give a hint. Creating curiosity is guaranteed to bring in viewers.
- Planning – Once you've started livestreaming and feel like it adds value to your followers? Then try to continue by consistently streaming. That way you will stay top-of-mind and you can build a good relationship with your fan base. Make sure you have a good internet connection!!! Without an optimal connection, live streaming on most media is difficult to achieve.
Going live on ...
Going live on Instagram
Broadcast on your Instagram Page in real time who you are, what you are doing or about to do. Currently, Instagram is the most popular medium to do this on. Also because of the more visual and interactive nature that Instagram has.
How should you go live on Instagram? We explain this in the step-by-step plan below:
- Open your instagram app
- Navigate to the homepage by clicking on the house icon
- Swipe to the right
- Select the 'Live' function at the bottom of the screen
- Put your phone in the right place where the setting and light is nice
- Start the livestream...
During the livestream...
During the live stream it is possible for you or your audience to post comments regarding your live stream. Placing a comment is done at the bottom. If you want to lock the comment you have to press and hold the comment. A pop-up will appear. Would you like to pin another comment? That is possible. Press the cross next to your comment and select another one in the same way. Are all those comments driving you crazy? You can also disable them by clicking on the three dots at the bottom right.
At the bottom of your screen, you can see how many viewers and users are currently watching your livestream. Want to see how long you've been talking? Then press the word "Live" at the top. This will then change to the duration of your live stream. To the right of the 'Live button' is another button that shows exactly who the different viewers are. If you want to remove someone from your livestream for any reason you can press the cross behind his or her name.
7. Make sure you interact with your audience and keep their attention.
How to do this is simple; ask a few questions or let ask your audience questions. Then you can go deeper into topics or questions that come up more often. You can face the questions by clicking on the 'question mark icon'. Besides this icon, there are three other icons: During the live stream it is possible for you or your audience to post comments regarding your live stream. Placing a comment is done at the bottom. If you want to lock the comment you have to press and hold the comment. A pop-up will appear. Would you like to pin another comment? That is possible. Press the cross next to your comment and select another one in the same way. Are all those comments driving you crazy? You can also disable them by clicking on the three dots at the bottom right.
- Arrow icon: using this button you can forward the live stream to someone else in a private message.
- 2-emoji icon: through this icon you can invite people to your livestream.
- 1-emoji icon: This feature allows you to do a filter over your live stream.
8. End the livestream the moment the necessary content has been shared.
Tip: Would you like to watch the livestream again or perhaps share it with others afterwards? You can! When you end your live stream by clicking the 'End' button on the top left of the screen you will see a pop-up asking you if you are sure you want to stop the live stream. You need to confirm this pop-up before you get the option to save the live stream to your Camera Roll. If the live stream consists of a large number of minutes it can take a while before it is saved in your Camera Roll. Please note that only the video is saved; reactions, questions and/or number of viewers are not included. : through this icon you can invite people to your livestream.
Going live on TikTok
TikTok, the booming platform among young people. It is known for its short, often funny videos, which you can like, answer and share just like any other media. Within this platform you can also go live. However, there are some more rules attached to this. We will explain all of this below.
Regels met betrekking tot TikTok live gaan
- Niet iedereen kan zomaar live gaan op TikTok. Hiervoor heb je minstens een aantal volgers voor nodig. Hoeveel volgers moet je dan hebben om live te gaan op TikTok? Vanuit TikTok wordt een minimum van 1.000 volgers aangehouden. Alleen dan verschijnt er een optie om een livestream te starten.
- Naast bovenstaande vereiste is het noodzakelijk dat je tenminste 16 jaar oud bent om gebruik te kunnen maken van de live functie.
- Op het moment dat een gebruiker 18+ is dan hebben kijkers tevens de vrijheid om virtuele cadeautjes te geven.
How to go live on TikTok
- Open your TikTok app
- Navigate to the 'plus sign' at the bottom of your screen
- Click on the 'Live' button which is shown next to the 'Record' option.
- Add a title to your livestream and/or a fun filter. Please note that you should not use any of the following words as a title: bff, drama queen, donation, duet, fan, drama, follow. These words are forbidden by TikTok and your live stream will be blocked.
- Click on 'Go Live' to go live
At TikTok live it is also possible to chat with your audience. Do this mainly to strengthen the interaction.
Going live on YouTube
YouTube is still popular among a large audience after all these years. Every day people navigate all over the world to be part of the community. YouTube also allows people to share live news, discuss or socialize.
Rules regarding going live on YouTube
YouTube also has certain rules that must be met before someone can go live on this medium:
- For the past 90 days, you may have had no restrictions on your livestream.
- Also, you must have your Channel verified
- Also, a requirement is that you must have at least 1,000 subscribers before you can actually go live.
Going live on YouTube
- Open the YouTube app on your phone or tablet
- At the bottom you have an option "Create +. Click here
- Next, choose the "Go Live" option.
Notice: it can take up to about 24 hours before your first live stream is actually turned on. After this first time, you can always livestream immediately.
You can choose from several ways of going live. For example, it is possible to film yourself via a webcam. In addition, another option is to stream from a video camera or screen.
Going live on Facebook
Going live on Facebook; is even less common. A great way to distinguish yourself and your business from the competition on this medium. On Facebook you have the option to go live on a page, in a group or for an event. In addition, your live videos are also displayed in the news overview of users. The most common is to go live on the cell phone via the Facebook app. Of course it can also be done via a tablet or laptop.
Step-by-step plan for going live on Facebook
Going live on Facebook via your mobile does as follows:
- Open the Facebook-app.
- At the top left of the home page, click ''Live''.
- Make sure that Facebook has access to your camera and microphone. You can easily adjust these settings in the privacy settings on your device.
- Add a description to your live stream. This will be displayed throughout your live video.
- Tag any friends, the location and describe your feeling/activity.
- Click on ''To: ...'' Navigate to where you want to go live to reach your target audience; your favorite page, a fun group or event.
- Edit your live stream with a nice filter or go live together. You can do this with the icons at the bottom of your screen (magic wand and down arrow).
- Satisfied? Press ''Start Live Video''.
- Finished livestreaming? Press ''Finish.
Going live is an ideal way to quickly and directly interest and inform your target group. In addition, live streaming - using any medium - is also very easy to realize. Your target group feels involved in your story because of the 'live aspect'. In addition, the direct online contact strengthens the authenticity of you as a person or as an organization. Therefore, the use of such a communication tool can influence your brand in a positive way. And isn't that the ultimate goal?
Do you want to stay up to date with news, articles, tips and tricks? That's great! We have a monthly newsletter for you full of relevant and practical content.. Register below - without obligation: